Claims for Restitution

Restitution is a way the courts can order an offender to repay you for financial loss you may have incurred as a result of a crime. If an offender is found guilty of a crime, a judge can include a restitution order as part of their sentence.

To let a judge know what your financial losses are, you can make a claim for restitution by using the form attached to this page (below). Once complete return it to the investigating police officer or to a victim services representative.

Once returned, copies of completed restitution claims are forwarded to the Crown prosecutor for review, the offender and/or their lawyer and the judge (if the offender is found guilty). Whenever possible, attach all supporting documentation needed to verify the amount of restitution you are claiming.

Restitution can be requested after a crime has occurred for:
- the damage, destruction, or loss of property
- costs incurred due to injuries received
- monetary loss including lost wages.
- expenses incurred if moving out of the offender’s house
- other financial losses you may have incurred

For more information regarding claims for restitution, please review the Alberta Justice and Solicitor General brochure below. Also please contact Bow Valley Victim Services with any questions you may have. We would be pleased to be of assistance to you.